Celery is a vegetable that is packed with nutrients and minerals. Learn the benefits of eating celery and how to add more celery into your diet.
Celery is a common food that is eaten in many households. It is mostly used to add flavor and texture to recipes like stuffing and tuna salad. Even though celery is a normal ingredient in many dishes, most people do not know how nutritious celery really is. It has a lot of vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting properties. Here are some of the many health benefits of celery:
Celery is rich in vitamin K
Vitamin K is an important nutrient because it helps with forming normal blot clots. For example, if you accidentally cut yourself, vitamin K stops you from bleeding to death. In addition, it aids in making essential bone proteins. This prevents bone fractures and diseases like osteoporosis. That is why adults over age 50 should increase their vitamin K intake. If you do not have the proper amount of vitamin K, this can lead to liver problems, excessive bruising and bleeding.
Celery is packed with vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the most important nutrients because it assists with supporting the immune system. It helps with fighting cold and flu symptoms such as coughing, sneezing and stomach pains. It is also known for reducing the risks of heart disease, stroke, and cancer. In addition to those benefits, vitamin C reduces inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. Vitamin C deficiencies include joint pain, bleeding gums, and frequent sickness.
Celery has a lot of Potassium
Potassium is an electrolyte that is good for maintaining a healthy nervous system. It is also vital for proper brain function and promoting normal muscle growth. Not only does potassium help with balancing normal water levels in your body, it also lowers blood pressure. Not getting enough potassium will cause dry skin, fatigue, and heart problems.
Other health benefits of celery
- It is a natural diuretic due to the high water content and it aids in constipation. If this is an issue for you, try eating a few stalks of raw celery.
- Celery is high in fiber which also helps with constipation.
- It is naturally high in salt. This benefits people who need to watch their salt intake.
- Celery is high in calcium which assists with maintaining strong bones and teeth.
- It helps with weight loss because it is a filling snack that is low in calories.
Since celery is so nutritious, here are some ways you can incorporate more celery into your diet:
How to get more celery into your diet
- Add celery leaves to your salad
- Serve with low fat dressing
- Try ants on a log (raw celery, peanut butter, and raisins)
- Add more celery when making meat or vegetable broth
- Add to potato or macaroni salad
- Garnish with celery in soups or dips
- Use celery when juicing other fruits and vegetables
- Eat raw celery sticks as a healthy snack.